American soccer writing, history & data.
The Wisconsin State Soccer Football League returned for the 1939-40 season with 13 teams and basically the same clubs as the prior season. Division A was made up of nine teams and Division B had four. The Hungarian Tigers of Milwaukee won the Division A title by one point over the next three teams. The race was so close that the fifth place Zastrow's Dodge-Plymouth team was only two points off the pace. The Zastrow's team was the renamed Deutscher Sport Club of Racine that had gained sponsorship prior to the season.
The four-team Division B ended in a tie at the top of the standings. On June 9, 1940, Dania Viking A.C. beat the Bayern Bright Spots 2-0 on Schwaben field in Milwaukee in a playoff game to win the Division B league title.
The Hungarian A.C. (aka the Lake Shore Oil Co.) faced the Schlitz team in the first round of the National Challenge Cup. On November 5, 1939 the teams drew 3-3- at Schwaben field. A week later, in the replay, the Hungarians beat Schlitz 5-4 to advance. But, the Hungarians lost in the second round 7-0 to the Swedish-Americans of Chicago on December 3, 1939 at Winnemac Park in Chicago.
Zastrow's faced Falk Corporation in the finals of the Wisconsin Challenge Cup. All three matches were played on Bayern field in Milwaukee. Zastrow's won the first match 1-0 on June 30, 1940 while the Falks won the second by the same score a week later. On July 14, Zastrow's beat Falk 4-0 to win the 1940 Wisconsin Challenge Cup.
After 16 seasons, the 1939-40 season would be the last for the WSSFL.
©2022 by Daniel Creel. All rights reserved.