Soccer Almanac

American soccer writing, history & data.

Inaugural WSSFL 1924-25 season

Dec. 2, 2022 |  Categories:  Wisconsin   WSSFL  

On August 18, 1924, representatives of 20 soccer teams of the Wisconsin State Football Association from Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, Sheboygan, and Two Rivers met at the Republican Hotel in Racine and reorganized the Wisconsin State Soccer Football League. The new organization drew up a constitution and bylaws, adopted playing rules, and elected officers. Frank Beleznay was elected the first president. The WSSFL affiliated with the U.S.F.A. Initial plans called for playing of games on unenclosed grounds and, breaking from the tradition of allowing professionals, membership was strictly amateur.

The soccer teams in most of the cities were composed of players who had immigrated to Wisconsin from foreign countries. Ten teams were part of the inaugural season. Deutscher Sport Club, Falk Corporation, Hungarian A.C., Milwaukee Vikings, Sons of St. George, Vienna A.C., and F.C. Wacker all hailed from Milwaukee. Horlick and Viking A.C. were from Racine. While MacWhyte represented Kenosha.

The 18-game scheduled called for a double round robin competition broken up in fall and spring halves. The William Horlick Sr. cup was to be awarded to the team having the highest percentage of wins for the season.

The spring season began mid-September and ended late November. The MacWhytes entered the qualifying rounds of the National Challenge Cup. On October 26, 1924 they beat the Jugo-Slavs of Chicago at home in the first qualifying round. On November 16, they traveled to Chicago to face the Thistle club in the second qualifying round. The game ended in a scoreless draw after regulation. During the 30-minute extra time, both teams scored and a replay was ordered.

The teams met again a week later at Simmons Athletic field. The game again ended in a 1-1 draw after regulation and extra time. The following Sunday, November 30, the Simmons again hosted the Thistles but lost 5-2.

The spring season began mid-April of 1925 and ran through late June. As many players had moved away during the winter, the Horlick club dropped out of the league and disbanded. The MacWhytes ended the seaon with only one loss over 18 games and took the league title. That spring the MacWhyte Company also put up a new trophy for the upcoming state cup competition.

©2022 by Daniel Creel. All rights reserved.